When learning is contextualized, it helps improve learning as well as teaching experiences. With increasing use of learning management systems to deliver content, the scope of contextualized learning is also increasing at a very fast pace. In everyday life, the concept of contextualization is widely adopted such as behaving in one way in a situation and behaving differently for other situations. The prime aim behind this lucrative learning approach is to boost learners’ motivation and help them learn better.
For any learning approach to be followed, it should analyze that its core principles are associated with pedagogical verdicts. It is believed that contextualized learning is associated with the following theories:
- Activities related to contextualized learning are aligned with factors including knowledge, competency, innovation and experience. Theories based on social learning, decision-making, problem-solving and psychological findings help humans learn more efficiently.
- Rather than teaching the concepts associated with theories, contextualized learning helps organizations prepare their workforce to face real-world challenges in the workplace. It encourages employees learn more, increasing their engagement and retention level.
- As this learning strategy is based on context, trainers relate content with real world scenarios and motivate learners to interact more.
Contextual learning approach relates to theories based on behavior and constructivism. It allows employees to learn at their own pace, connecting knowledge with its plethora of applications in different contexts. There are ample practices followed while using online LMS and adapting contextualized learning approach:
- Be innovative while designing content
- Design for efficiency
- Design iteratively
- Assess learners’ performances
When organizations use contextual learning via online learning platforms for workplace training, it helps improving employee retention and workplace efficiency, ensuring modern learners are taught with the right content at the right time.